Tuesday, July 15, 2008

I miss my Torrie!

Torrie was a stray cat that started to come around Amy and Jason's house. One night they brought food from A. Karen and U. Don's and started feeding her. She wouldn't come close to you, you had to put the food down and step back. A couple days of me feeding her i could walk up and pet her but any little noise would scare her away. She became friendly but just a little more friendlier with me. (Is friendlier a word?) She would hear me pull in the driveway and come as quickly as she could from wherever she was. I always said hi to her and went on my way. One of my favorite memories of her is, when i would pull up in my car, she would pop her head up from her favorite spot behind one of grandmas plants. Anyway, back to my story. One day i came over and while i was petting her it looked and felt like she was pregnant. I went in and told everyone and i can't remember what G. Betty said, but it was something of the sort that she wasn't pregnant. Because the next day when i came over she was skinnier than she was 24 hours before. I went inside and i told Amy that I'm pretty sure she had her kittens. Amy then told me that Torrie had been going in and out of these bushes in G. Betty's yard. I didn't know which bushes she meant so i looked at some then Torrie came over to me and then walked to the bushes in the front yard. I followed her over there and she went inside. I looked around and moved some branches and what do you know... I found Torrie and two kittens. I was sooo excited! I waited about a week and then one day i hoped that Torrie would let me take them out of the bush. I got a blanket out of my car and laid it on the grass, and i went to the bushes where she was. I reached in, pet her, and went for a kitten. She didn't stop me so i pulled it completely out and moved it to the blanket. It was a fuzzy black, grey, and white striped female kitten. I went back and pulled out a black kitten with white paws and white on it's chest. This one was a boy. I thought about it and i decided on two names. Jack and Tessa. I put them on the blanket and started petting them, Torrie then came over and laid in my lap. She fed them and just let me hold them. Here are the first pictures of them. They are from my crappy camera phone... sorry.

A while later Torrie took them someplace and then came back later with only Jack. We tried to find Tessa but couldn't. It was a sad day. I don't know how much longer we had Torrie and Jack, it was a while. Jack had started to look like a cat, not a kitten. Torrie had something wrong with her from the beginning. It sounds gross, but she never had normal poop. She always had the runs. Grandma had to wash their blankets a couple times because of this problem. I loved Torrie and Jack more than anything else. Torrie connected with me more than anyone else. Even though she was just a cat. I loved the feeling of her just loving me back. She would always sit in my lap. One day Jack went missing. We couldn't find him anywhere. My family and i were leaving for the ocean in a few days and i was just sick to my stomach! I missed him. The day before we left, we couldn't find Torrie. I looked for her and i couldn't find her. Later that day i made posters and put them up around the neighborhood, on my way back to grandmas house i was calling her name and then i heard a little meow. I stopped calling her name to make sure i really heard it and not imagined it. I then hear another little meow. I look and i look and in the far corner of my grandmas yard i see a cat laying in the grass under a tree. I ran over there and it was Torrie. I slowed down and walked closer to her. As i got about a foot away she looked up at me meowed one more time. She didn't look right. She wasn't just laying there in the grass. She looked different. I pet her and she just felt weird. I don't really know how to explain it. The skin on her stomach just felt like play dough almost. Really weird. I picked her up and ran into grandmas house and i was just bawling by this time. I told her i found her in the corner and she is sick. It was about 6 o'clock and grandma didn't think any of the vets were open still. She drove me to a couple and they were all closed. In the car Torrie looked so frightened. I was willing to use my money that i had saved up for vacation. We figured she was poisoned by a neighbor and that she wouldn't last much longer. We took her back to G. Betty's and i put her in a cage that we had borrowed from one of her friends. We had her fixed a while before and still had it. It was dark by this time and i was crying like crazy. I could tell she was getting worse by the minute. I wanted to stay with her the whole night, but i had to go home. I said my goodbyes and i told her i loved her. I called the next morning and grandma told me she died during the night. I still think of her all the time even though it's been i think a year.






No comments: